Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Tuesday, October 12th. At home, a week and a half later..

Writing all this from memory, my collection of maps, my pictures and the use of the Internet has been great fun.  I am sure I left something out, and perhaps added where it did not belong, but on the whole, this is as good as it’s going to get out of this old memory of mine.
It was, all in all, a most wonderful experience.  One of the great ones in my lifetime.  The beauty of the places along the way, the connection with new friends, staying in touch with old ones, the physical challenge of that hill in the rain, all the work ahead of time training for the ride, the great food and camping out in small campgrounds.  It all came together much better than I had any reason to expect.
Two last things. 
My greatest gratitude goes out to my wife, Carla Michelotti.  Without her support, her patience, understanding and her encouragement, this ride would never have taken place.  After bobsriverride, she admitted how concerned she was for my safety and I knew then that I was most likely never to take another ride by myself.  This tour reassured her that I would be in good hands and safe along the way.  Thank you Carla for everything.
Finally, this tour completed the circle for me.  The disappointment I had after not completing my first ride along the Mississippi to New Orleans has been erased and I finally realize that bobsriverride was a success in every sense of the word.  It does not matter how far one travels, for there are always miles still to go and to be seen.  There is always tomorrow and another adventure to seek and complete.  It is in the doing that success manifests itself, not in the dreaming.  It is the journey that is important, not the finish.  I hope you have enjoyed reading about this trip as much as I had taking it and writing about it. 

See you next time along some other adventure on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment